Biglaw’s 2022 salary wars have been ongoing since January, and the market (i.e., all of the firms that have matched Cravath’s generous $215K to $415K scale) has spoken — very loudly, in fact. Dozens of firms up, down, and even outside of the Am Law 100 have already matched the new salary scale, but here we are, more than a month after Cravath announced its new compensation grid, with dozens of firms still remaining completely silent. Why? There aren’t any decisions left to be made… except, of course, whether or not your firm is planning to offer lower-tier salaries to associates during an incredibly hot lateral market.
Which firms in the Am Law 100 haven’t uttered a word — that we know of — to their associates about raises (of any kind) yet? Here’s a list of the firms that have yet to match (along with their most recent gross revenue, as of 2020). Do with it what you will, and please feel free to correct us if we’re wrong.
16. Greenberg Traurig: $1,730,230,000
18. Sullivan & Cromwell: $1,555,441,000 (the firm matched on March 17, 2022)
26. Reed Smith: $1,310,596,000
39. Squire Patton: $1,042,000,000
40. K&L Gates: $1,019,674,000
41. Wachtell: $1,010,664,000 (associates at this firm don’t typically share information on their compensation; likely nothing to see here)
47. Faegre Drinker: $937,037,000
48. Foley & Lardner: $922,354,000
49. Troutman Pepper: $918,010,000
52. Bryan Cave: $860,083,000
55. McGuireWoods: $831,051,000
57. Baker & Hostetler: $789,429,000
58. Fragomen: $787,305,000
63. Seyfarth: $717,032,000
65. Venable: $681,864,000
66. Lewis Brisbois: $676,823,000
68. Polsinelli: $618,322,000
69. Littler: $613,640,000
70. Fox Rothschild: $584,000,000
71. Nelson Mullins: $577,075,000
73. Ogletree: $537,559,000
74. Cozen O’Connor: $530,875,000
75. Duane Morris: $526,230,000
76. Jackson Lewis: $518,243,000
77. Crowell & Moring: $514,391,000
78. Barnes & Thornburg: $506,189,000
80. Kilpatrick Townsend: $497,936,000
81. Nixon Peabody: $488,753,000
82. Blank Rome: $483,370,000
83. Locke Lord: $482,096,000
84. Womble Bond: $476,192,000
86. Akerman: $451,682,000
89. Davis Wright: $445,253,000
92. Gordon Rees: $442,256,000
94. Ballard Spahr: $426,926,000
95. Husch Blackwell: $417,056,000
96. Dorsey: $414,096,000
100. Baker Donelson: $372,959,000
Remember everyone, we depend on your tips to stay on top of this stuff. So when your firm matches, please text us (646-820-8477) or email us (subject line: “[Firm Name] Matches Cravath”). Please include the memo if available. You can take a photo of the memo and send it via text or email if you don’t want to forward the original PDF or Word file.
And if you’d like to sign up for ATL’s Bonus Alerts (which is the alert list we’ll also use for salary announcements), please scroll down and enter your email address in the box below this post. If you previously signed up for the bonus alerts, you don’t need to do anything. You’ll receive an email notification within minutes of each bonus announcement that we publish.
Staci Zaretsky is a senior editor at Above the Law, where she’s worked since 2011. She’d love to hear from you, so please feel free to email her with any tips, questions, comments, or critiques. You can follow her on Twitter or connect with her on LinkedIn.
Enter your email address to sign up for ATL’s Bonus & Salary Increase Alerts.